Why is Brand Identity Important?
One of the most important things you can do when establishing your business is to give your company an image that identifies who you are. Forming your company’s brand identity becomes a major asset because it forms a promise to your customers. Think of it as your customers “visual” first impression of your organization and who you are perceived to be in the market. Your brand affects what your clients, audience and future prospects believe about you.
What is Brand Identity?
As a business, you want the visual elements of your brand (color, design, logo type, name and symbol) to come together and be easily recognizable in identifying and distinguishing you from competitors in the eye of your customers. You have forged your identity for customers to see who you truly are, hoping that customers relate to these images in the way you want them to. How your customers actually feel about your brand identity is called brand image. If customers brand image is vastly different that your brand identity, you may have a problem selling your product. If this happens, it may be time to sit back down and redesign your brand identity. The goal is to establish your brand identity and discover that your customers are in agreement with your perception.
Building Brand Identity
To build a strong brand, you must practice discipline. When building your image, the key is to use behaviors your customers expect from you. So what are the necessary tools needed when building your brand identity?
- Think about the problem that your company solves. How can you best communicate this to your customers? Now is the time to sit down with your team or by yourself and quietly deliberate how to answer these questions.
- Repetition! Your brand image will emerge when you have loyal customers who spread their story of your company. Customers who spout their excitement passionately and consistently present an effective message and override any negativity from those few naysayers.
- A brand is invaluable to your company. When used correctly, it simply communicate to your customers that reliable experts in your field of expertise are invested in your company.
- A strong brand builds confidence, assurance and admiration from those who support it.
- When you put all of these together, along with the ideals you have set forth in your identity, a portrait is painted of your company. This portrait can influence the mood of your customers as well as the people inside your organization.
Logos Say So Much!
Your company logo becomes a visual that is easily identified among customers. Therefore, it is a very important aspect of your company’s brand and should be considered carefully. Take into consideration that throughout the history of Pepsi, their logo has changed 11 times. Something that may be thought provoking and relatable in the 1970’s may not make the same connection to customers in 2015.
When you think about band identity, simply think about the emotions that are summoned when you say your best friend’s name or the name of a loved one. This is the response you want customers to feel regarding your business’ brand. If this isn’t the reaction your company is getting, it’s time to reconsider your brand identity.